Another fall semester is upon us! The Office of Learning Technologies is available to help instructors share rich course content with their students using online teaching and learning tools, such as Canvas. Contact us anytime with your specific questions or requests. Also, OLT is running workshops to help you prepare for fall semester. View dates and RSVP on our Eventbrite page.
New To Canvas?
There are many good reasons to familiarize yourself with the Canvas learning management system (LMS). Most of them have to do with improving your students’ learning experience and simplifying your workflow as an instructor. 88% of the SVA instructors who used Canvas last year told us they plan to use it for future classes. And here are a few reasons… Canvas makes it simple for SVA instructors to:
- Post information one time in the secure Canvas classroom to give students 24/7 access to course texts, assignment guidelines and schedules.
- Allow students to create their own online discussion boards with classmates — to ask one another questions, share ideas and collaborate on challenging problems.
- Send out communications to your entire class or individual students — no need to create a new email list every semester.
- Maintain all of your course documents and links to online content and video resources in one convenient course shell (and simply roll them over to the next semester).
Want to check it out for yourself? Log in at sva.edu/canvas.
Returning Canvas User?
Most of you, who responded to OLT’s spring 2014 survey about Canvas, reported that you plan to use Canvas for future courses (88%). Also, 74% of you responded that a Canvas training session would be helpful. In addition to reviewing tools you used last year, OLT’s upcoming training sessions will show you these new improvements from Canvas:
- Draft State: create content in Modules, Assignments, Pages, Quizzes, and Discussions whenever it’s convenient and make them visible to students when you choose
- GPA Scale grading scheme: create and grade assignments based on a GPA Scale
- Gradebook: view student grades in an enhanced page design with fully accessible features
As always, if you’d like to jump in on your own, the Canvas Guides at guides.instructure.com, are available to answer many questions. And for those of you itching to move beyond “Canvas basics” we will roll out new workshop topics later this semester.
Questions? Call OLT at 212-592-2313 or email us at email@example.com for assistance. We hope to see or hear from you soon.